Wednesday, June 21, 2006

HotHotHot

21.6.2006

Well, it definitely was worth a wait: for the past week it has been basically TROPICAL up here! We've reached +30 temperatures almost every day - and sitting in an office on days like that is torture! Not only is it draining, but it's also frustrating. Because, knowing Finnish summer (=short and with low snowfall), one should ALWAYS try to live these hot days to the fullest. And sitting indoors and typing on a computer is definitely NOT the ideal way of doing that...

Well, as I don't have a choice, it's also a bit pointless on complaining on the matter. But a thing I definitely have a right to complain about is the air conditioning in here. Or the lack of, to be a bit more specific... There are two of us sitting in this same room, and the air in here is hot'n'humid. The pitiful table-fan we have in here helps very little - if at all - in this hotness.
What makes it even worse is the fact that a Finn is not built for this kind of weather; as much as I do love summer and sunny days, a week of 30+ temperatures can sometimes be a bit too much... but luckily only a bit! :)

26.6.2006
I was forced to postpone finishing this posting on few semi-simple reasons: 1) work. Ya, it does interfere my leisure time, and day by day I get a firmer grip on things to do here. Anyhow, occasionally I do take a moment for myself and do non-work-related thingies (like update this blog...)
2) Mid-summer-madness. The third weekend of June is mid-summer up here. Basically it means that all cities turn to ghost towns as everyone head to cottages etc. to celebrate. Also, this third friday of June is a semi-holiday, which presents itself as shops closing down by 13.00. Majority of offices are already closed on friday - and so were we too. Hence, I had headed up to Tampere already on thursday night, and on friday we hit grocery stores early on - to avoid the worst rush!
4 guys and I spent the friday night at Olli's parents home (his mom&dad were in their cottage) by BBQ:ing, sitting hours in the sauna and yes, having FEW drinks in a luvly summer weather. On saturday we took off as soon as our designated driver (Valtteri) was fit to drive. Our destination was a friend's summer cottage some half-an-hour drive away. The tradition continued there, with awesome weather, sauna, great food, more drinks and laid-back company. Finnish summer really showed it's best!
Afterwards the feeling hasn't been too dandy, as the notorious KRAPULA (=hang-over) has been present for these past day and some... but I'm pretty convinced that it was worth it!

A big, warm, luvly THANK YOU to everyone who remembered my big-27-day last tuesday (20.06.)!!!! Getting older is tough - and thus I decided to celebrate with the mid-summer... And as you already read; we sure did celebrate!

Other than that I've been just laying low. Being lazy, getting fatter and slacker... and feeling extremely guilty about it!! Weather is still sweet and warm - and this day at work has been next to useless, since our weekend-craziness is still taking it's tolls. Thus, I believe that I'll be heading home now. Maybe I'll go rollerblading tonight. Or then I won't...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home